busy disk

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:45:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM, thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why, but nmon shows a 100% busy disk quite often.  It's a
> mix of read and write, but sometimes just reads.
>
> disk free shows:
>
> Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root   72G   20G   48G  29% /
>

> Is it thunderbird just being a pain?
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

You might want to install iotop:

sudo apt-get install iotop

Then next time you see a 100% busy or disk access seems to be high, run

sudo iotop

It should by default put the program causing all the io at the top and at
least narrow down if it is Thunderbird or a browser or something else.
 Then you can start looking in why that specific program would be having
high io usage.