slow start up Ubuntu 14.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Fri May 23 11:48:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick
<garyartista at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <
> garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <
>> garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> snip..

>>> 1) I thought to check the hard drive speed following instructions at
>>> http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/07/how-to-test-read-speed-of-your-hard.html
>>>
>>> /dev/sdb1: Timing buffered disk reads:  34 MB in  3.05 seconds =  11.16
>>> MB/sec
>>> /dev/sdb2:  Timing buffered disk reads: read(2097152) returned 1024 bytes
>>> /dev/sdb3: Timing buffered disk reads:  38 MB in  3.06 seconds =  12.44
>>> MB/sec
>>> /dev/sdb5:  Timing buffered disk reads:  30 MB in  3.19 seconds =   9.39
>>> MB/sec
>>>
>>> The reading for usb flash drive 2.0:   Timing buffered disk reads:  50
>>> MB in  3.03 seconds =  16.49 MB/sec
>>>
>>> I plugged the hard drive into another usb port and it made no difference.
>>>
>>> 2) I ran a hard drive test for 2 hours and I got no errors.  Used GS
>>> smartcontrol.
>>>
>>> 3) Sysem profiler and benchmark says the Toshiba is connected to a USB
>>> 3.0 port.
>>>
>>> 4) Using pv hdparm I got these read/write test results
>>>
>>> gary14 at gary14:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test.data bs=1k count=128k
>>> 131072+0 records in
>>> 131072+0 records out
>>> 134217728 bytes (134 MB) copied, 0,748769 s, 179 M
>>>
>>> 5)  I disabled ureadahead.   Per the boot chart is saves about 40
>>> seconds.  But still a total of 2 min 45 secs from selecting Ubuntu to being
>>> able to run a program.
>>>
>>> I think it might be wise to just reinstall but I will leave this for a
>>> few days from now in case anyone has a brain storm.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions to date.
>>>

>>> garyk
>>>

>> The external harddrive is a Toshiba usb 2.0.  No doubt this accounts for
>> some of the speed issues but again it was booting and running much faster
>> 13.10- early versions of 14.04
>>
>> garyk
>>

> Decided to do a clean install today.
>
> garyk

Install was very fast, maybe 15 minutes, and this cut the start time in
half.  It is no longer sluggish once running.  Not sure what the problem
was but with so many versions of 14.04 starting in January something was
bound to get messed up.  Clean installs are almost always the best.

Thanks again-  now to doing the other things that I need to do with the
system.

garyk

PS not sure to mark this as solved or not.