strange issue with 'install updates'

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:45:19 UTC 2014

On 18 May 2014 16:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM, William Scott Lockwood III
> <scott at guppylog.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 18, 2014 3:02 AM, "Gary J. Kirkpatrick" <garyartista at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yikes! When I try to install updates on this 12.04.1 unit, error message
>> > says:
>> >
>> > Requires installation of untrusted packages
>> >
>> > Under details:
>> >
>> > flashplugin-installer ok
>> > libxfont1 libxml2 linux-firmware python-libxml2 tzdata tzdata-java
>> > usb-creator-common usb-creator-gtk
>> >
>> > I'd just installed bootlog but now have removed it, same error message.
>> > I rebooted just in case that would help.
>> >
>> > I installed the same update one at a time and got no error messages!
>> >
>> > Probably I will wait for the next update to see if it happens again and
>> > then report a bug.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >

>> > thanks
>> >

>> > garyk
>>
>> Do you have any third party repos installed? This message is common if you
>> haven't added their key to your keyring. It's also pretty harmless. Assuming
>> you trust all the repos you have added, it's ok to just install the
>> packages.
> thanks-  I'd like to figure out which one is causing the problem.  I was not
> able to install the updates except one at a time.

Make sure that when you reply you put the reply before the two minus
characters that mark the start of the signature, otherwise some email
s/w will hide your reply thinking it is part of the sig.

The best thing I believe in this sort of situation is to update via
the command line then any errors are clearly shown.  If you copy/paste
them here then someone will likely help.  So close update manager and
in a terminal run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If there are errors that you need to copy then ctrl+shift+c copies
marked text in the terminal.

Colin