slow start up Ubuntu 14.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat May 17 16:12:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Pete Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 17, 2014 4:39 PM, "Colin Law" <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 17 May 2014 06:51, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It is taking over 2 1/2 minutes to boot Ubuntu 14.04.  13.10 was
> around a
> > > minute on the same computer-  maybe a little less.  Nothing in startup
> > > applications seems to be the cause.
> >
> > You can install bootchart [1] to give you some clues as to where the
> > time is going.
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootCharting
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > --
>
> Hi,
> Just a thought, did you have other derives connected at time of
> installation, if they are no longer connected it waits "for /dev to be
> fully populated" check your fstab file and comment out the irrelevant
> lines, this sped up my 13.10 install no end!
>
> Pete S

Do I only see 1 drive in fstab?

#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# / was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
UUID=d4adea1b-1b19-46cf-b43e-5d26e5529097 /               ext4
errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sdc5 during installation
UUID=f3bebfb5-f5de-4a59-af7c-ea4cb65863fd none            swap
sw              0       0

This is an external hard drive.  The internal failed.  There are two UUID's
there.

trying bootchart

garyk