read only SD card

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:23:13 UTC 2014

On 11 May 2014 15:11, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Me, everything, guest, nothing and can not be modified.  Same as when
>> > logged
>> > in as gary14.
>>
>> I have just realised I am being stupid.  You said it is formatted as
>> FAT and so there are no permissions on the card.
>>
>> If you plug in the card when logged in as guest and check dmesg are
>> you still seeing it say that the card is set to RO?  Have a look at
>> that then check whether you can write to it.  Then take it out, log in
>> normally, and plug it back in and check dmesg again.
>>
>> Another test is to check you can write to it when logged in as guest,
>> then login normally without unplugging and see if you can still write
>> to it.
>>
>> Colin
>

> It says write protect is off. I can write to it no problem as guest.  Logged
> in as gary14, try to write to is says it is read only, although I was able
> to delete a file, which I had not been able to do lately.

So when you plug it in when logged in as guest and look in dmesg it
says write protect off, but when you plug it in when logged in as you
and look in dmesg again it says write protect on?  Your reply does not
really make clear *exactly* what you are seeing.

Is all this absolutely consistent?  Is it possible that the switch is
intermittent?

When logged in as guest and switch the switch with it already plugged
are you able to write and then not write?

Please try and answer the questions carefully, it is not always easy
to know exactly what you are seeing.  Assume we are all idiots and you
will not go far wrong.

Colin