Brother MFC-6490CW Scanner problems

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Wed May 7 22:26:35 UTC 2014

I'm setting up a new machine with 12.04 LTS stable.  I got
the Brother MFC-6490CW to work as a printer over the network
but it will not work as a scanner over the network.  I tired
all of the possible solutions I found on line adding users
to groups etc but both Xsane and simple scan fail. In
frustration I removed the network scanner with brscan3config
and tried plugging it in with a usb cord. If I do this Xsane
gives me a  Failed to start scanner:Invalid argument message
but if you select the scan button again it works. Simple
scan gives Failed to scan, unable to start scan message.
Does anyone have any ideas? I could live with having it
plugged in as a usb scanner but would like to get it working
without the error message.
                                    Thanks
                                     Linda