External HDD is corrupted

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Fri Mar 28 09:45:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 18:52 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> > And am still open to any and all other ideas.
>
> I have seen problems with USB cables. Some can be very thin, and some can be thick - depending on the gauge of wire used, and the number of wires passed through.
>
> Try other cables.

Also, is it a 3.5" drive or a laptop drive? The USB->SATA cable I quoted
earlier works with laptop drives, but it has TWO USB plugs to make sure
it can pull enough current to run the drive.

Is the suspect gear being run from a separate power supply or USB power?

A week or two ago I installed a PCI-E USB 3.0 card in my old desktop
computer. The card has a power socket that takes one of the old style DC
plugs direct from the system PSU apparently because USB 3.0 can supply
loads more power than USB 2.0.

If the drive is USB powered, is there a 3.0 socket available to try it
with?

Dave