Resuming Deja Dup Backups After Reinstall

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Fri Mar 28 08:20:36 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 02:43 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 13.10.
> I setup Deja Dup over SSH.
> I let this run daily for a 4 months.
> I've now reinstalled Ubuntu 13.10.
>
> There is an encryption password set on the backups.
>
> How can I go about backing up to the same location, adding on to the
> existing backup set and just continuing?
>
> When I open 'Backup', I get the following screen.
>
> http://i.sajan.io/1395992524.png
>
> If I go through the process of "I want to restore files from..." I can
> successfully log in, find, and restore my backups.
>
> If I go to 'Just show my backup settings'...and setup that same
> location, I'm afraid the existing backups will be deleted or will not
> be added onto for future restoration.  Or won't it?
>
> Hopefully that makes sense.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger; went through the deja dup settings
and clicked 'back up now'.  It did find the existing backup set and
asked for the encryption key.

After providing it, it said the computer name had changed (which it
didn't), it thought my computer name was 'localhost'.

I edited /etc/hosts which looked like this...

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.2 realcomputername

to look like this...

127.0.0.1 realcomputername localhost

Then tried it again and everything seems to have worked.

Sajan Parikh