Running Ubuntu on Lenovo Laptops

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 27 11:57:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 07:05:51PM +1100, Peter Goggin wrote:
> I have four laptops running XP Pro.  Now that support for XP Pro is
> finishing I am consideri ng whether to go back to using Ubuntu which
> I used on my old desktops. The Lenovo models are X61s, T400, W500
> and X201.  Will they run ubuntu?

Yes.

You may check
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/make/Lenovo/?category=Laptop,
but in practice Ubuntu runs well even on models that aren't officially
certified.

> If so is changing the operating system problem?

It wasn't for me.  I've been running Ubuntu on a T42, T61, X200 and
X220.

> I have all of the laptops backed up to external hard drives.

That's a good habit to have.

Marius Gedminas
--
I'm a shareware signature!  Send $2 if you use me, $10 for a manual.