Pyrenamer - a new problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Mar 21 21:34:32 UTC 2014

Hello Colin,

Friday, March 21, 2014, 5:46:42 AM, Colin wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 01:59:39PM -0700, rikona wrote:
>> Running 12.04, recently updated, but the last update seemed to have
>> ruined pyrenamer. The pyrenamer GUI normally has two boxes, the left
>> showing the directory tree, and the right showing files in the
>> selected directory. The current problem is the left side box now
>> covers the entire width, and one has no way to see what files are in
>> the directory. Thus, you can't indicate which files you would like to
>> have renamed - the app is essentially useless.
>>
>> I tried an apt-get purge and new install, but it didn't change
>> anything. When I ran 'locate pyrenamer', there were 100 or more
>> listings.

> I don't know what the real problem here is, but I can point to one
> confusion. The "locate" database only updates occasionally (usually
> nightly). If you've only just purged and reinstalled something, then
> it is not going to be up to date.

I'm familiar with that. If I want a current view of the system, I
run updatedb before I run locate.

> Other tools such as "find" (look for files in part of the file
> system) or "dpkg -L" (list files shipped by a package) are more
> likely to be helpful.

Comparing the lists from dpkg and locate might be helpful - I'll
consider that.

Again, I'm trying to find the dates associated with all the files
produced by locate - without having to do the hundred or so
individually by hand, since they are spread out all over the computer.

> If you know when it last worked, you could look through
> /var/log/dpkg.log* to find the packages that have been upgraded
> since then.

I haven't used it for some time, so can't be sure of the last time it
did work. :-(

Thanks,

--

 rikona