Running two python versions in 12.04

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Mar 12 15:02:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 06:25:11AM -0600, drew einhorn wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:20:57PM -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> > > I would like to add Python 3.3 to my 12.04 installation.  I am
> > > thinking of using the  deadsnakes PPA to do the installation.
>
> > FWIW if you're fine with Python 3.2, it's available in the main 12.04
> > repo, no need for PPAs.
>
> A while back I faced a similar struggle with Python 2.6 vs. 2.7 on 10.04.

(I'm still not very comfortable relying on a PPA for production use, and
therefore my apps that still run on 10.04 LTS are still on Python 2.6.
My CI slave, also running 10.04, has Python 2.7 from the deadsnakes PPA,
and I haven't seen any problems with it.)

> The plug got pulled on the whole project before we resolved all the
> the issues.  There were two big ones.
>
> 1.  A deeply buried conflict between the debian way of doing things,
> and the python way.  Think we got past this one, but we were not
> able to do enough testing before the project was canceled to be sure.

Details?

Packages from the deadsnakes PPA should be following the Debian way and
thus not cause any more conflicts than official packages in the main
repo.

> 2.  Getting all the necessary supporting libraries installed properly
> in the right places.  I did get the right version of pillow installed
> instead of the older deprecated PIL (Pythion Imaging Library).  But I
> was still struggling to get the right version of numpy working.

virtualenv helps here a lot.

If you use sudo apt-get build-dep python-$whateveryouwant, then pip
install in that virtualenv should be able to handle anything.

(Unless Ubuntu's python-$whatever has local patches that make it build
on Ubuntu.  Like PIL versus python-imaging.  Luckily Pillow carries all
the requisite patches upstream.)

> So I hope you can get by with 3.2 that has had all the rough edges
> smoothed by the folks who put it in the production 12.04 repos, and
> not have to smooth them yourself.

Also, security updates.  Python 3.2 is in main, and Canonical promises
security support for it.  The deadsnakes PPA is maintained by Felix
Krull, who's a fine fellow and has provided updates in the past, but
nobody's paying him for that.

(Well, according to GitTip he receives $0.25 per week.)

Marius Gedminas
--
TCP_UP - The 16-bit TCP Urgent Pointer, encoded as the hex
      representation of the value of the field.  The hex string MUST be