Running two python versions in 12.04

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:25:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:20:57PM -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> > I would like to add Python 3.3 to my 12.04 installation.  I am
> > thinking of using the  deadsnakes PPA to do the installation.
>

> FWIW if you're fine with Python 3.2, it's available in the main 12.04
> repo, no need for PPAs.

A while back I faced a similar struggle with Python 2.6 vs. 2.7 on 10.04.

The plug got pulled on the whole project before we resolved all the
the issues.  There were two big ones.

1.  A deeply buried conflict between the debian way of doing things,
and the python way.  Think we got past this one, but we were not
able to do enough testing before the project was canceled to be sure.

2.  Getting all the necessary supporting libraries installed properly
in the right places.  I did get the right version of pillow installed
instead
of the older deprecated PIL (Pythion Imaging Library).  But I was still
struggling to get the right version of numpy working.

So I hope you can get by with 3.2 that has had all the rough edges
smoothed by the folks who put it in the production 12.04 repos, and
not have to smooth them yourself.

 --
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."