How to disable openssh-server & my sql server from startup services?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Mar 9 16:49:58 UTC 2014

On Sunday 09 March 2014 12:46:58 Karl Auer did opine:

> On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 10:40 +0100, Mauro Sanna wrote:
> > locate the scripts in /etc/init.d and then do a chmod -x
>
> No, DON'T do that.
>
> a) the OP said quite clearly that he was using upstart-controlled
> programs
>
> b) using chmod in /etc/init.d will have no effect on most
> upstart-controlled programs
>
> c) for programs not controlled by upstart, you will then also be unable
> to start the scripts manually (at least not without doing something like
> "sudo sh /etc/init.d/progname")
>
> d) it's ugly. Read "man update-rc.d" instead
>
> Regards, K.

Thank you Karl, I was not, even after all this time, aware of such a tool.
So I read the man page.  It looks a lot like chkconfig but with somewhat
more opaque docs.  I don't consider it an improvement, but I am not manning
the tiller here either.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.