USN-2124-1 (OpenJDK-6) has regressed..?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 4 16:21:39 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 04 March 2014 11:18:48 William Scott Lockwood III did opine:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 March 2014 10:24:29 William Scott Lockwood III did opine:

> >> No idea, I haven't run that in at least 3 years. You could back port,
> >> or you could upgrade. Or compile it yourself, but I don't suggest
> >> that at all, unless you're willing to maintain it yourself for
> >> security and bug fix's. Their project home page is at
> >> https://mariadb.org/ and I find packages here:
> >> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/5.5.35/
> >>
> >> There is also the new 10.x version, but I'd stick with 5.5 for now.
> >
> > Following the instructions on that site, adding the repo, there seems
> > to be a missing dependency.
> >
> > The final install command line returns this:
> >
> > gene at coyote:/var/log$ sudo apt-get install mariadb-server
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > or been moved out of Incoming.
> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:

> >   mariadb-server: Depends: mariadb-server-5.5 (= 5.5.36+maria-1~lucid)
> >   but
> >
> > it is not going to be installed
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > I'll see what Synaptic can make of it, it may be more verbose.
> > Yes. It will not install the meta packages but will all the 5.5's, but
> > when I click apply, it also wants to expunge all of kde.  That
> > obviously will not do.
> >
> > Sniff...
>
> Honestly, I wouldn't trust that on 10.04. That's way, way too old to
> run newer binaries. Why are you still on 10.04? Is it a technical
> reason, or just no desire to upgrade to something newer that is also
> LTS supported?

Its the distribution that linuxcnc is built to run on.  We will have that
fixed before 14.06 I'm sure but its not at all easy to make linux into a
deterministic real time system.  We need a heartbeat with a timing jitter
under 5 u-secs.  Current kernels are 3 magnitudes worse.
> --
> W. Scott Lockwood III
> AMST Tech (SPI)
> GWB2009033817
> http://www.shadowplayinternational.org/
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:  soap, ballot,
> jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.