Linux is not good for Desktop

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 4 15:15:34 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 04 March 2014 09:56:07 David Fletcher did opine:

> On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 08:51 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Sorry, I can't concur.  I am currently running two Brothers, on their
> > own linux drivers, an HL2140 B&W laser, and a HL3170CDW.  The B&W
> > Just Works(TM), the color I am still fine tuning the colors of
> > although part of
>
> HL-3040CN works fine for me but I only use it for occasional documents.
> Photo printing just isn't worth screwing around with. When I need prints
> I take the files around to Asda Walmart and they do it on a proper photo
> printer for very little money.
>
> On the original topic, it depends on what desktop you're using. I hate
> Unity, but Mate works just fine for me.
>
> Dave

In my defense, I should note that my history in color photography gets
started back in the late 60,'s, doing my own darkroom work using chemical
development, with the color paper developer being a concoction I put
together myself until well into the late 80's.  I can look at a print that
I am about to sell someone and say to myself, this one needs another cc05m
dialed into the dichro head on my Besseler 23C enlarger.  I am Picky about
what I sell IOW.  I have shot weddings, and sold the spread, printed on an
Epson C-82 printer.  Epson, despite claiming the later cxx printers used
the same inks, none of them was ever able to match the color accuracy I got
from the C-82. Those prints have held the correct color over the years
unlike ANY chemical process with the exception of Cibachrome. But
Cibachrome was never that accurate either.  Like HP inks, the reds are
orange.  Blues are a tad shifted to cyan too.

Unfortunately the chemistry involved in Cibachrome is an environmental
disaster on a scale with the chemical etching of printed circuit boards
(ferric chloride is truly NASTY stuff) in addition to being about 5x more
expensive than Unicolor even after I made my own developer.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.