Suspend not working after upgrade to 14.04

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Jun 25 20:54:53 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-25, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 24 June 2014 14:21, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, it took me a while to remember where to find that.  I was using
>> "X.Org X server -- Nouveau...".  I switched to "NVIDIA binary driver
>> version 331.38", rebooted, & suspending seems to work consistently
>> now.  Thanks a lot!
>
>:¬) Excellent!

(Not really --- it broke Minecraft!)

>> I have noticed something possibly related but weird.  After I
>> rebooted, my GNOME panels didn't appear, but I checked display
>> settings & it showed an "Unknown Display" beside my "Built-in
>> Display".  I turned the unknown one off & everything was fine.
>
> Yes, I've had a problem like that once or twice, too.

By a strange coincidence, I had a weird problem with my desktop at the
office today, which has 2 side-by-side monitors.  The operating system
had moved everything a few pixels to the left, so the left edge of
maximized windows in the left monitor disappeared, & the right edge
showed the left edges of windows in the right monitor.  I fiddled with
"display settings" & it went back to normal, although I could only get
it to work with my GNOME panels on the left monitor instead of the
right.  (No big deal but it takes getting used to after a few years on
the right!)