Suspend not working after upgrade to 14.04

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Tue Jun 24 12:21:32 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-23, Liam Proven wrote:

> Do you have the proprietary nVidia drivers installed?
>
> If so, are they the latest version?
>
> If they aren't, can you disable them and try with the FOSS nouveau
> drivers & report back?
>
> If that works, then try the latest nVidia drivers.

(One other oddity is that yesterday evening suspending worked once but
not again afterwards.)

Hmm, it took me a while to remember where to find that.  I was using
"X.Org X server -- Nouveau...".  I switched to "NVIDIA binary driver
version 331.38", rebooted, & suspending seems to work consistently
now.  Thanks a lot!

I have noticed something possibly related but weird.  After I
rebooted, my GNOME panels didn't appear, but I checked display
settings & it showed an "Unknown Display" beside my "Built-in
Display".  I turned the unknown one off & everything was fine.  I have
VGA & HDMI ports on this laptop, but I don't think I've ever plugged
anything into the HDMI one, & I haven't used the VGA one since I
upgraded to 14.04.  I did notice an extra display in the settings a
few days ago too, but it wasn't interfering with GNOME.