lost gui

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 14:04:00 UTC 2014

On 22/06/14 14:55, Jasleen Kaur wrote:
> hi
> i am using 12.04. my gui is not working. After grup, instead of opening
> unity greeter, it opens console. i also found a message on a screen
> during booting, this is not a bootable device.insert some boot device. i
> was trying to make a bootable dvd. i think i did something wrong. then
> this problm occurs. need urgent help !

Hi,

You say it opens console what prompt do you get? (I.e GRUB: or login
prompt on your system?)

Are you leaving the bootable DVD in place to test, if so is your base
system unaffected (and this is the live media reporting the error)

If you reach the login prompt <Machine-name> login: type your username
and password in and try 'startx' to see if you reach the greeter!

Hope this helps

Pete S