Question about USB hotplug in Ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 14:29:51 UTC 2014

Simon Guo wrote:
> I want to be clear about the USB hotplug procedure in Ubuntu.
>
> I read "Linux Device Driver" and "Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt", and
> google much. Per my understanding, the USB hotplug generally works as
> following in linux:

No, it doesn't work like that. Unfortunately you learned about an
outdated procedure. Nowadays Ubuntu uses udev [1].

> I am using Ubuntu 11, and with my own build kernel version 3.15.0.

Just in case you didn't know it: Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 have both
reached EOL a long time ago and it is recommended to use a supported
Ubuntu version.

Nils

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev>