Ubuntu to run my printer

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jun 14 23:46:59 UTC 2014

On 06/14/2014 06:52 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:

> On 06/13/2014 11:14 PM, Phil wrote:
>> On 06/14/2014 12:30 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>> I am tired of my printer cartridges drying out and having to but new
>>> ones. Is their an ubuntu program that will run my printer in a Nozzel
>>> cleaning Operation at some preset interval. They got the darn things
>>> fixed so if a single color dreis out you can't print in back and white.
>>> That is aggravating.
>>>

>> I had exactly the same gripe Douglas. I replaced my last ink jet
>> printer with a HP colour laser and have never had any problems. I
>> bought the printer about a year ago and I'm still using the original
>> cartridges.
>>
>    I installed a black and white Brother lazer Printer but in the not
> to distant future I want a printer to use on My boat to print weather
> fax. I guess it will have to be one of the little inkjet Laptop
> printers and I Hope they will run off of 12 volts  DC  and again black
> and white would be perfect but I doubt its available at a price I want
> to pay??

I've never seen a 12 volt printer, but DC-AC inverters are cheap enough,
and ink-jet printers are available for practically nothing at
garage/yard sales around
Long Island, so probably the same everywhere. This is ideal, because
probably a printer will only last a year or so in a salt-water
environment.  I guess when
not in use, you should encase it in a big plastic bag and seal it up.
Preferably with some of those desiccant packs.

--doug