Ubuntu to run my printer

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Jun 14 14:44:06 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-06-14 at 10:14 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 06/14/2014 04:42 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Sat, 2014-06-14 at 09:17 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >> I bought a Canon iP4300 for £65 seven years ago for home printing.
> >> The driver was picked up by Ubuntu automatically and it is still
> >> performing perfectly.  It costs around £15 a year for cartridges.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>
> > Unfortunately, my only experience with a Canon printer caused me to
> > swear to never ever buy a Canon product of any sort again.
> >
> > I'm pleased for you that your experience with the brand has been happier
> > than mine was.
> >

> I gave away my Canon printer because it was a problem. My new Epson is no better for the reason I gave.  David I suggest if you have a seven year old printer keep it. The new ones work as I described and they are a real problem and cost a fortune to run. I am not the only one saying this as their is a big discution on line about this. Sorry about the spelling guys. I don't spell and for the moment my spell checker don't either  :-)

The ink jet I have is a Stylus Photo 950. I've had it for what seems
like a long time and it works really well via my server with CUPS and
Guttenprint, but it suffers the same problem as others with the jets
clogging due to infrequent use. So, it will get used for draft printing
until the ink I have is used up, then it will go to free cycle if
anybody wants it. It's getting harder to find ink for it anyway.

I managed to get the drivers for the Brother installed to my server, so
nothing needs to be done to any other Linux computers to use it but as
Gene said it's a bit of a PITA to get the firmware updated, which I have
so far not managed to do. Perhaps I should have kept the Windows 7 hard
drive from this net book intact!

Dave

--
Lisa Simpson:- "They must have programmed it to eliminate the
competition."