Re: Automated “ubuntu-12.04.1-server-amd64” OS installation on Physical machine having hardware raid1 for OS Hdd

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:55:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Rajesh Prasad <rajeshcse058 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are using Physical server and are in process of Automated
> “ubuntu-12.04.1-server-amd64” OS  installation on it.
>
> There are two HDD for OS installation purpose and there are RAID1 relation
> between them. This setup has been done through BIOS.
>
> The kickstart configuration file looks like this:
>
> #Generated by Kickstart Configurator
> #platform=AMD64 or Intel EM64T
> #System language
> lang en_US
> #Language modules to install
> langsupport en_US
> #System keyboard
> keyboard us
> #System mouse
> mouse
> #System timezone
> timezone Asia/Dili
> #Root password
> rootpw --iscrypted $1$Yl1QJyta$KzIT.kq3i9E5XaiQKcUJn/
> #Initial user
> user ankit --fullname "Ankit" --iscrypted --password
> $1$c6Yflpea$pi1QQ59/jgywmGwBv25z3/
> #Reboot after installation
> reboot
> #Use text mode install
> text
> #Install OS instead of upgrade
> install
> #Use Web installation
> url --url http://10.10.2.14:8080/dist/ubuntu12
> #System bootloader configuration
> bootloader --location=mbr
> #Clear the Master Boot Record
> zerombr yes
> #Partition clearing information
> clearpart --all --initlabel
> #Disk partitioning information
> part /boot --fstype ext4 --size 100 --ondisk sda
> part / --fstype ext4 --size 10000 --ondisk sda
> part /var --fstype ext4 --size 10000 --ondisk sda
> part swap --size 1024 --ondisk sdb
> #System authorization infomation
> auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5
> #Network information
> network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0
> #Firewall configuration
> firewall --enabled --trust=eth0 --http --ftp --ssh --telnet --smtp
> #X Window System configuration information
> xconfig --depth=8 --resolution=640x480 --defaultdesktop=GNOME
>
> But I am getting the below error : "No root file system is defined"

I've been meaning to test your kickstart file but have been too busy
and it doesn't look like I'll have the time until this weekend so I
thought that I'd reply now without any tests.

I last (and first) tested kickstart-kickseed on Ubuntu 2-3 years ago
and I had the same error at my first attempt; but I've completely
forgotten how I resolved it (SORRY!). :(

I see some problems with your setup.

1) You cannot use more than one disk with kickstart-kickseed or
preseed unless you're using mdraid or lvm (and the latter two aren't
supported in kickstart-kickseed).

2) You cannot use "firewall --enabled ..." in kickstart-kickseed.

3) Are you sure that "xconfig ..." is supported? And if it is, is the
"--defaultdesktop=GNOME" option supported?