Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS for *very* old server hardware

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sun Jun 8 07:14:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm currently on a Linux training mission for a company in South France,
and just for the fun of it, I resurrected a very old server from the
server cabinet and put Slackware Linux 14.1 32-bit on it. The server is
a Dell Poweredge 1300, roughly 15 (!) years old, equipped with a
Pentium-III 500 MHz processor, 110 MB RAM and 3 x 9 SCSI disks (which I
configured with a software RAID 5). Slackware runs very nice on this old
dinosaur, we managed to get DHCPD, Bind, NTP, Squid+SquidGuard, Apache
and some other things to run on it.

As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), newer versions of
Ubuntu don't boot on these very old processors. Now here's my question :
are there eventually some alternate installation CDs of Ubuntu Server
(I'm interested in the 12.04 LTS version) that would boot on this old
machine?

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat