installing software

Cindy-Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:07:04 UTC 2014

On 6/7/14, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forget your Windows habits.
>
> Google for "how to [do X] Ubuntu" and learn.
>
> E.g. for Seamonkey, add the Ubuntuzilla repositories and then you can
> just install it from S/W Centre. Google Ubuntuzilla to find it. It's
> easier than the terrible dangerous Windows cycle of:

> * run it with full local admin privileges
> * hope it does not rape your machine

A SUPER handy tip I learned from this or the Debian-User list was:

apt-cache search [software name or keyword]

I use it in a GNOME Terminal (CLI). Example is I wanted to find the
puzzle game, palapeli, but could NOT remember the name so I just:

apt-cache search puzzle

And palapeli was one of the many possibilities returned as a response..

Of course, APT has to be installed first before that can be used..

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/apt-get.html

AND doubly, of course, is that there needs to be an APT-friendly
package available for that to even work in the first place (once APT
itself is installed).. Software compatibility advocacy/self-advocacy
next comes into play if a desired software package is not available..
Or one could dig one's heels in and develop the package him- or
herself.. :)

Sometimes when our LONG time favorite software does not turn up easily
available, we discover new ones to step up and take their place.. Have
had that happen a few times in the last couple years..

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *