computer/properties

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:01:42 UTC 2014

On 07/06/14 12:21, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 7 June 2014 02:58, Vinny Ray <Vinny at fusiontunes.net> wrote:
>> I right click on computer and select properties. On the permissions tab it
>> says I cant make any changes because I am not the owner. So I am just
>> wondering who owns my computer?
>> etc.... is why I deleted windows off of my system.
>> How can I fix this?
>> I also see that I need to type in my password every time I install
>> something..
>> Surely Linux has a fix for these problems?
>

> They're not problems. You just have to relearn how to use your OS.
>
> The reason you need to re-enter your password to do stuff is that
> Ubuntu is secure by design. This is a /benefit/, it is a /feature/. It
> means that random programs can't infect you like Windows viruses
> infest Windows.

Hi,

As the OP is a recent convert from the proprietary OS's lets not get
bogged down in too much techno-babble and put the user off of asking
questions, after all asking and doing is how we all learnt!

The files that are owned by root on your pc are IMPORTANT SYSTEM FILES
that Ubuntu 'locks' the average user out of for security reasons (if you
think about it this is a great feature).
This does not mean you are locked out of your own machine you just need
root access this can be achieved a number of ways:

prefix your command with 'sudo' in a terminal

open a graphical program such as a file browser or text editor by
pressing <alt+F2> then typing gksu nautilus for example would give you a
'root' file browser or gksu gedit <filename> would open a writeable copy
of a config file NOTE: anything saved whilst root will be owned by root
unless root says different!

Google is a great place to find info as a beginner just be careful
whilst doing anything as root or sudo.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

The community wiki is there to look up any commands you may run across
that you are unsure of

Regards

Pete S