installing software

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jun 6 22:57:14 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 04:16 PM, Cobin Bluth wrote:

> I just downloaded the package you indicated in your email and it looks
> like a precompiled binary. Just extract it to /opt/ and then run
> /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey.
>
> On Jun 6, 2014 11:46 AM, "Vinny Ray" <Vinny at fusiontunes.net
> <mailto:Vinny at fusiontunes.net>> wrote:
>
>     My question involves software that is not listed in the Ubuntu
>     Software Center.
>     I am wanting to install Mozilla Seamonkey. It contains a "HTML
>     composer" which is what I use to edit and create websites.
>
>     In windows you download the file, click on the .exe file and it
>     installs.
>     Apparently that doesn't work in Linux.
>     I downloaded the proper file ( seamonkey-2.26.tar-3.bz2 )
>     However I have no idea what to do with it.
>
>     I would also be interested in the name of any other good HTML
>     editor that runs nicely on Linux if anyone knows of a good
>     "simple" one. I don't mind switching editors. I just don't know
>     what to search for in the Software Center and I have not been able
>     to even find one in there.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     --

Not sure about tar-3, but you can try extracting the file (in a
terminal) by writing:  tar -xjf seamonkey-2.26.tar-3.bz2  and hopefully
you will have a file in
the type of file-manager system that Ubuntu uses. (rpm or debian--I
think debian).  Then if that's the case, just install it the usual way.
--dm