32-bit vs 64-bit

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Jun 5 19:09:41 UTC 2014

On 06/05/2014 02:32 PM, Niles Rogoff wrote:
> 2GB of ram is only the limit for 32 bit processors without PAE
> support. Almost all 32 bit processors support PAE, which allows 32 bit
> operating systems to address up to 4GB of memory.

Theoretically, even without pae, a 32-bit processor can address about
3.6 GB ram. I have an older Dell Inspiron E1505. Dell says that it will
only support 2GB, but i
installed a 4GB stick, and the machine actually addresses 3.0 GB. (I
assume that something in the hardware limits the other 0.6 GB that is
theoretically available.)
The extra 1 GB made a noticeable difference when I installed Windows 7
on the machine. (It's still kind of slow, however.)

--doug