Desktop Link Dupe Issue

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 20:20:49 UTC 2014

On 31 July 2014 15:40, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> On 07/31/2014 12:12 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> If, in a terminal, you run
>> ls -l ~/Desktop
>> what does it show for the two links?
>>
> I ran your cmd and got a file name of gnucash.desktop.  I thought "links'
> had an "l" as the first character in the directory line, as in "d" for a
> directory.  There are no "l" descriptors in my directory of Desktop.

That is because they are not links, they are .desktop files, or shortcuts.

> I then cd'd to the subdirectory in Desktop where the other file name
> resides, and found, as you probably suspected, the name is gnucash.desktop,
> again with no "l".  This accounts for the duplicate issue.
>
> As I did not name either of these (it was done by the OS), what control do I
> have over this issue?

How did you create the shortcuts?

You can just edit and/or rename the desktop files (gedit
filename.desktop).  I have a rule always to make the desktop file name
and the Name= in the file always to be similar so that I can identify
which shortcut is which.

Colin