Are you forced to buy windows in order to solve certain tasks on the internet e.g. like certain banktasks and to update garmin gps maps and other

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Jul 31 15:51:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-31 at 15:31 +0000, user1 wrote:
> Are you forced to buy windows in order to solve certain tasks on the
> internet e.g. like certain bank tasks and to update garmin gps maps etc

I am using the Garmin Etrex Legend HCX. I just copy the Open Street Map
file into the micro SD card and it "Just Works".

Never had any problems using banking. Years ago Santander used to
complain that they didn't recognise my OS but that stupidity stopped.

I do have to use windows if there's a firmware update for my Brother
laser, which I'm not too happy about but I do have a hard drive I can
swap into my computer with a caddy system to run XP so that I can live
with.

If you're into astronomy, you can't, as far as I know, update a Meade
Autostar unit unless you turn to the dark side. I've complained to Meade
about this in the past, but they're not addressing the problem, so I've
not purchased their product.

Dave

--
Lisa Simpson:- "They must have programmed it to eliminate the
competition."