Custom system build for Ubuntu

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Mon Jul 28 08:28:52 UTC 2014

I am considering assembling a Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) system to replace my
aging Sun Workstation/Server.  As this is my first attempt at builting a
system from scratch, I am seeking comments to hopefully avoid any obvious
mistakes.  I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has used
these components regarding their compatibility or incompatibility with
Ubuntu, as well as more general comments should you believe that there are
better alternatives or issues of which I should be aware.

I plan to set up virtualization (probably using KVM) and run Ubuntu and
Windows 7.  The system will act as a mail and web server for a small LAN
and will be used for CAD, photo editing and software development.  Thanks
for any insights you can offer.

Configuration:

  * Cooler Master Cosmos II Case
  * Corsair HX850 Watt Power Supply
  * Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboard (EEB Form Factor, C602 Chipset)
  * (2) Xeon E5-2630 v2 CPUs
  * (2) Dynatron R17 Fan Cooler
  * Nvidia Quadro K4000 GPU
  * 32 GB Crucial PC3-12800 EEC Registered RAM (CT2K16G3ERSLD4160B)
  * (2) Sandisk Extreme PRO 960 GB SSD (SDSSDXPS-960G) (Mirrored)
  * (2) Seagate 3TB SATA-III NAS Drives (ST3000VN000) (Mirrored)
  * Pioneer 16x BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Burner
  * Rosewill RDCR-11003 3.5" USB3 Flash Card Reader/Writer