Is Linux 3.13, the worst kernel version, ever? YES! It is... So, why Trust come with it? WHY!?

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Tue Jul 22 13:54:19 UTC 2014

> I'm wondering here, for God's sake, why Ubuntu 14.04 comes with this
> lame kernel? What Ubuntu Kernel Team have in mind?!

I have to create and install a VM server that's due by the end of July for
an oncology clinic. The server will run two VMs - pfSense firewall, and SME
Server that's used to filter spam and viruses for their MS Exchange server.
The VM server might also be called upon to occasionally run a Windows 7 VM
for remote guests.

I've always liked Centos, and the newest version Centos 7 was recently
released so I was excited to use that to build this new server. Since I
service Windows and Linux computers for a living, it's good to work with the
various distributions to get to know them. It always better when you know
more about them than your customers...

I spent several days getting to know Centos 7. I always install an OS and
then each service I need, learning how each new feature works as I go along.
Sometimes things don't go well because I'm learning, so by the time I'm done
I've had to install the OS a couple of times until things are perfect. By
the final installation, things should install and work flawlessly.

So, on the final install of Centos, it's time for testing the VMs. I
installed pfSense and connected my desktop behind it. To test, I connect to
IRC and start downloading files or playing BF4 to see how smoothly things
flow. Things did not flow. The IRC connection was getting dropped and I was
getting disconnected from the game servers.

The deadline is approaching and no time to waste trying to figure out what
is wrong, so I install Ubuntu 14.04 server which I have already installed on
a couple of other servers.

Immediately, I notice pfSense is booting much faster in the VM, and all
connection problems go away. Granted, there must be some reason for the
problems in Centos, but there's no more time to waste pouring over settings
and helpful websites.

It's a shame there might be a bug or two in the current Ubuntu kernel, but
those bugs have not shown themselves to me on several, various hardware
platforms. Praise God/Allah/Buddha for Mark Shuttleworth and his Ubuntu
team. Keep up the good work!