copy installation from vm to bare metal -> kernel modules are missing

Chris chris+ubuntu at postbox.xyz
Sun Jul 20 16:30:34 UTC 2014

Thank you for your reply.

On 07/17/2014 11:15 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> You need to boot with a rescue disk (installer disk) and then re-generate the
> init ramdisk.  The modules needed early in the boot process are loaded into
> the ramdisk with the mkinitrd program (mkinitrd is what I would use with
> CentOS or other RedHat type distros and I am assuming the same for lubuntu).

Is it really the ramdisk? The machine is booting, even X11 is starting,
but lsmod lists only a third of the drivers loaded normally. Especially,
the network driver is missing. The physical machine has a realtek card
(shown in lspci) and the virtual machine a e1000.

I have the physical machine not at home, but I'll try it again tomorrow
with rebuilding the initrd.

How is initrd handled by live cds?