Questions about apt-get and updating/upgrading from 14.04 to 14.04.1

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 19 15:10:07 UTC 2014

I have a question about apt-get and what is the correct process to upgrade a
system from 14.04 to 14.04.1.

I know that normally one does 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get upgrade' to first
update the repository listing files and then upgrade packages, generally for
routine bug and security updates.  What I am not sure about is whether this is
sufficient to do a point-level update or not.

With CentOS (which I am very familiar with), doing a 'yum update' is
sufficient to do both routine bug and security updates AND do point-level
updates as well.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com