copy installation from vm to bare metal -> kernel modules are missing

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 17 21:15:00 UTC 2014

At Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:45:52 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've copied a VirtualBox VM to a physical machine with rsync.
>
> The network card is shown in lspci but the realtek driver isn't loaded.
> Only about a third of the kernel modules which are loaded on the same
> machine when installing lubuntu from a cd-rom are used.
>
> Do I have to adjust some udev rules? Where are the kernel modules loaded?

You need to boot with a rescue disk (installer disk) and then re-generate the
init ramdisk.  The modules needed early in the boot process are loaded into
the ramdisk with the mkinitrd program (mkinitrd is what I would use with
CentOS or other RedHat type distros and I am assuming the same for lubuntu).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933