fresh install 14.04

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:22:37 UTC 2014

On Jul 17, 2014 12:09 AM, "arelem3" <arelem3 at bigpond.com> wrote:

> A friend is using a Dell1520 laptop, the hard drive has 2 partitions.
Windows xp  and a blank partition that was intended for Ubuntu when
originally purchased from Dell, years ago.

> The owner wants now to move from xp to Linux but for comfort zone
feelings I'd rather not remove windows for the time being.

> My questions are, if I install 14.04 on the second partition will it
overwrite the MBR and lose windows access or will it simply create the grub
boot menu with the choices of xp and Ubuntu? I would prefer the latter

> Will some of the files in My Documents and other personal folders on xp
be accessible to Ubuntu?

> Thanks in advance
> Roger

Hi,

As long as you select the empty partition when you install (i would advise
against selecting install alongside incase it squashes xp up to make room
for ubuntu and you end up with both on half the drive). You may have to run
"sudo update-grub" afterwards for grub to find the xp installation, you
will then be able to choose xp or Linux at the boot stage.

You will be able to access files from xp in ubuntu, but not the other way,
without installing some form of trickery on xp to allow it to understand
the file system used by linux systems (freely available but I can't
remember what its called) !

Hope this helps

Pete S