update from 12.10 to 13.10

johnny candj01 at att.net
Tue Jul 15 02:01:26 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 07:14 PM, arelem3 wrote:
> My daughter updated her Toshiba Satelite L750 laptop from 12.10 to
> 13.10 yesterday and now has significant problems. Strange because I
> regularly update my machine with no issue.
>
> We noticed that during the download process the terminal displayed
> err: and something about translation but a we could not stop the
> process in  time so let the download continue. The download and
> install took 8 hours or so.
>
> She dare not shut down the computer because the shutdown dialog
> displays OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and is inoperable.
>  Several Icons no longer appear in the sidebar.
>
> She is very worried that if she manually shuts it off she may not be
> able to start it again.
>
> She wants to update to 14.04LTS and I would like to ask what we should
> do to resolve the problems.
> I've not come across this problem before so am in the dark.
>
> Help much appreciated
> Roger

I would backup your file, etc. Then do a clean install of 14.04. Make
shore in your BIOS doesn't have the sleep mode or anything that that
would turn off the power when doing the install. You could also use a
program that would write 0 to then drive to see if it has any bad spots
on the drive. I am not much on upgrades.
Good Luck Johnny333