pdf document from healthcare.gov not opening

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 19:43:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent at asu.edu>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Tommy Trussell
> <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hope someone else can point to a public example of an XFA-containing
> PDF
> > file folks can test.
>

> http://apply07.grants.gov/apply/opportunities/packages/opp14-518-cfda47.070.pdf

Thanks for the example!

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with all updates, and the only application that
can open it seems to be Adobe Reader (from the Ubuntu Partner repository).
It's acroread 9.5.5-1precise1 and although it can open the file it's VERY
VERY slow to redraw the screen at first. But it CAN open it. Some others
have had trouble, but as I mentioned I'm using the one packaged for by
Adobe for Ubuntu 12.04.

For the record, I also tried these, none of which produced more than the
"To view the full contents of this document" message:
Mozilla's PDF viewer for Firefox
"Document Viewer" (Evince) 3.4.0
LibreOffice 4.2.5.2 (Draw module or Writer; not sure)
GIMP 2.6.12
PDF Chain 0.3.3 (GUI for pdftk)
pdftk 1.44
xpdf 3.02 (this one crashed)
pdfShuffler 0.6.0
Krita 2.4.0

As I suspected, pdftk wasn't able to help the situation. I used PDF Chain
(a GUI front end to pdftk) to have pdftk stripped out the XFA, and then
even Adobe Reader couldn't open it. :-(