[LightDM] Autologin (lightdm) questions

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jul 9 15:00:01 UTC 2014

OK, I am attaching both the log and the config file.  I have some questions,
but I don't know if it is a LightDM issue or Ubuntu issue.

First some 'historical' background about the system(s) in question.

We have 1 *physical* server (a Dell T20). I install CentOS 6.5 w/KVM (CentOS 6
'native' virtualization) on it. It has three 500gig SATA disks. Two are setup
with RAID 1 (Mirroring) and the third is for backups (contains an Amanda
'virtual tape changer'). I then install Ubuntu 14.04 into a virtual machine
and install DRBL on the Ubuntu VM. The host server (CentOS 6.5) acts as the
LAN DNS server, DHCP server, the NAT/Router, and the LDAP (OpenLDAP)
authentification server. It also is running Postfix as the LAN's mail server /
outbound E-Mail relay (at this point the only local E-Mail is system stuff, eg
root mailing logwatch reports and Amanda mailing backup reports). There are 10
workstations that boot via PXE and use the Ubuntu VM as a tftp server (for the
Ubuntu kernel/initrd), and NFS server for the root (/) and /usr file systems,
using DRBL.  I decided to use Ubuntu 14.04 for the workstations because it has
'newer' versions of things like LibrOffice and Firefox, etc. and are generally
more up-to-date in terms of the things most users do.

Now for some questions:

For some reason, *my* username (heller) is treated special -- why is that
and how can I 'fix' it? Other than being the system admin, there should not be
anything 'special' about my username! It should certainly NOT be the appearent
'default' login name! (Yes, when I installed the Ubuntu VM, that is the user
name I used as the initial user name.  And this is a most anoying 'feature' of
Ubuntu -- CentOS does not do this!)

The attached log and config file were from a machine that came up like it
wanted to result a session rather than do a cold login.

Oh, in case it matters: the /home directory is NFS mounted, so all of the
workstations have the same /home directory, in case that matters.

Also: when I changed *my* file under /var/lib/AccountServers/users/ to use a
*different* session manager (I personally *hate* Unity), it seemed to affect
other users.  Again, it seems Ubuntu is treating *my* username (heller) as
something special.  This is something that I need to fix.  I would expect a
UNIX system to treat all users more or less *equally*. Why does Ubuntu do this
other thing?  It is just plain *wrong*.