[Encrypted] Re: Swap Space Not Activated On Boot

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 3 01:01:45 UTC 2014

On 06/28/2014 03:13 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> On 28/06/14 10:25, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ | grep sdb5
>>
>> and then change the string after the "UUID=" of the fstab entry
>> according to the output of the command above.
>>
>> After modifying the fstab you can use the commands
>>
>> sudo swapon -a
>> free -h
>>
>> to check if the change was successful.
>>
>> Nils
>>

> Hi Nils,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I think that's fixed it.  However, sudo swapon -a produces the following
> response:
>
> swapon: /dev/mapper/cryptswap1: stat failed: No such file or directory
>
> although top shows:
>
> KiB Swap:  3998716 total,        0 used,  3998716 free.   645796 cached Mem
>
> which it didn't before.
>
> I noticed the cryptswap entry in fstab and I'm thinking that it has
> something to do with my encrypting my home partition during
> installation.  I don't know much about what goes on under the hood when
> a partition is encrypted so I'm not sure what's going on here.
>
> Still, at least I now have a fully functioning swap partition. Thanks again.

You may not after reboot... especially if you boot with external usb
drives attached:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/953875>
(Encrypted swap no longer mounted at bootup)

I finally gave up and just use an unencrypted swap (that and switch to
fully encrypted distro environments instead of ecryptfs). The wasted
time & effort mucking about with this simply isn't worth it & it seems
that Dustin has gone 'walkabout' so who knows when/if it will ever be
fixed in Ubuntu?

My recommendation is to comment out '/dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw
0 0' in your /etc/fstab & just move on.

and if you keep trying to use encrypted swap you'll likely encounter:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/1153661>
(The disk drive for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 is not ready yet or not present)

Good luck...