unable to install

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:24:26 UTC 2014

On 1 July 2014 21:30, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Why complicate things?
>
> just install it directly:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install software-center
>
> You forgot the hyphen...

Amichai is right, but I suspect you may have such severe package
problems that it will not be able to install software-centre.

Looking at the 2nd image you posted -- http://tinypic.com/r/derb6x/8
-- it is failing to configure libgcc1. GCC is the GNU Compiler
Collection; I think you should be able to live without that for a
little while, as GCC is not installed by default on Ubuntu.

I suggest you temporarily remove libgcc1, since it appears to me to be
causing a problem.

Then, with it gone, try to fix the other errors (``apt-get install
-f'', then ``apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade -y'') and then try
reinstall software-center (remember the hyphen!)

Then after the system is fixed, reinstall libgcc1 if you need it.

Here is some guidance on how to forcibly remove broken packages:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/48014/how-force-remove-when-post-installation-script-always-fail

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven