/etc/init.d/dbus refers to /usr/bin/dbus-daemon but it is /bin/dbus-daemon

Peter Waller peter at scraperwiki.com
Tue Jul 1 16:55:58 UTC 2014

I just booted a Trusty AMI on Amazon EC2, had it automatically update via
cloud-init.

When I rebooted the machine, it took several minutes after responding to
ping before becoming responsive to inbound SSH connections.

When I arrived on the machine, I found that I could not start any services,
upstart would complain:

$ status salt-minion
status: Unable to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

Which indeed doesn't exist.

And if I run `/etc/init.d/dbus start`, there is no output.

Looking in /etc/init.d/dbus I see:

  DAEMON=/usr/bin/dbus-daemon

This binary isn't on the system. /bin/dbus-daemon is, however. Changing the
init script to have DAEMON=/bin/dbus-daemon improves things.

I was only able to find this problem by using `strace /etc/init.d/dbus
start`.

Is this a bug, or may I have done something wrong?

Thanks,

- Peter