Linux is not good for Desktop

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jan 29 22:29:04 UTC 2014

Ramachandran,

On 29/01/14 17:09, Ramachandran Chidambaraiyer wrote:
> While discussing about Apple and its OS for Mac and Iphone, it was
> mentioned that Linux has failed as an OS for Desktop. It includes Ubuntu
> also.
> Do you agree with this.

I really depends on what you mean by 'failed'. Is it usable and also
used? Yes it is. In which case you can say it hasn't failed. Has it
broken Microsoft and Apple's strangle hold? No. If that's the criteria
then it has failed!

My own view is that it has not failed. Ubuntu, especially, is now widely
used by techies and non-techioes alike. My 82 year old mother uses it!

Having said that, Ubuntu I think is going off the rails, IMHO, so I've
moved to Linux MINT!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk