ubuntu: destroy a huge binary file and make it non-readable.

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Jan 29 08:30:38 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-29 06:46, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 29/01/14 18:09, Bob wrote:
>> ** Reply to message from Richard Hector <richard at catalyst.net.nz> on
>> Wed, 29
>> Jan 2014 15:56:31 +1300
>>
>>> Eww, this list munges reply-to, so I can't reply direct. Never
>>> mind.
>>
>> I like it that way.
>>
>> I very much dislike getting an email reply to a mailing list post.
>> If that is
>> done I either get two replies or the people on the mailing list do
>> not see the
>> reply.  In either case I think it is wrong.
>
> I'm much more familiar with the Debian lists, where it's firmly
> configured not to munge.
>
> If I'm replying to the list, I hit "Reply List" - that's most of the
> time. If I want to reply to the user, for a specific reason (and
> there
> are reasons, when the topic is no longer relevant to the list), then
> hit "Reply".
>
> On a munged list like this, the option to reply to the user is no
> longer
> there; I'd have to muck about with copy & paste.
>
> Also, if the user has set a Reply-to for a specific reason - because
> that's where they receive their mail - that will be lost completely,
> and
> I can only (with difficulty) reply to the address they sent it from,
> where they may not be able to receive it.
>
> Finally, IMHO the default should be the safe option. If I intend to
> send
> to the list and I send to the individual, no real harm done; they
> were
> going to get it anyway. If I intend to send to the individual and
> accidentally send to the list, that can have serious consequences ...
>
> Richard

The subject of this discussion no longer seems to cover the contents.
May I suggest you start a new thread with a suitable subject line if
you are going to discuss this at length?

I've heard arguments that top-posting makes a subject hard to read.
Please take this into consideration then: going off-topic in a thread
about top-posting and proper use of mail clients makes it hard to find
answers to your problems while searching mailing list archives. It is
equally bad as top-posting.

Please note I am not a moderator, but this should be common-sense
enough to accept from anybody.

Regards,
Patrick Asselman