Another java question

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sun Jan 26 21:30:19 UTC 2014

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I installed java on both machines from LP-PPA-webupd8team-java.  Looking
> at Synaptic on the Saucy laptop I see I have java 8 on it.  This
> surprised because the update I just installed on my Precise desktop was
> to Java 7.  Looking at Synaptic on the desktop shows
> oracle-java7-installer as the installed version, but
> oracle-java8-installer is listed.
>
> I'm not sure how this could happen and if I mark it for installation
> will it then proceed to install java8?

You may well have both installed already. If you run this command:

     sudo update-alternatives --config java

You will be prompted to pick a Java to use as the default one, and shown
a list of available options; run that command and paste its output into
an email and we can see what's going on.

When the list is up you can just hit 'enter' to have it not change
anything and leave the defaults as-is.

--
Avi