I need a good backup program.

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 12:28:29 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 11:12 PM, Bob wrote:
> I am looking for a good backup program.  I would like to be able to restore an
> entire partition or all partitions if the there is a disk failure and sometimes
> to be able restore a single file.  The backup program that comes with Ubuntu
> appears to be for restoring single files only although you could reinstall and
> then restore over the new system to get back to where you were.  Does anyone
> have a suggestion.

I just used clonezilla to do that recently. I installed.. something..
that screwed up my OS and it wouldn't boot. I had just used clonezilla a
few weeks ago to make an image, so I restored it using clonezilla and
within 30 minutes I was back up and running as if it was 2 weeks ago. An
ap-get update;apt-get upgrade and I was now current.
Clonezilla does partition(s) to partition, disk-to-partition,
disk-to-disk.. I saved my "/" partition to a folder on my spare drive. I
actually saved "/" and /home, but only restored "/". You download
clonezilla, burn it to a CD and boot it. It walks you through
backingup/restoring in a simple menu. Just make sure you know which
partitions you want to save to and which partitions you want to save..

--
Paul Cartwright