I need a good backup program.

doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jan 24 05:01:01 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 11:12 PM, Bob wrote:
> I am looking for a good backup program.  I would like to be able to restore an
> entire partition or all partitions if the there is a disk failure and sometimes
> to be able restore a single file.  The backup program that comes with Ubuntu
> appears to be for restoring single files only although you could reinstall and
> then restore over the new system to get back to where you were.  Does anyone
> have a suggestion.

There is a program called Miray HDClone, available in free, and 2 or 3
paid versions. I have used
both the free and the lowest level paid version to copy a hard drive to
a solid state drive and to
another hard drive, and my experience is that the free version will take
--literally--all day to read
the source, and the paid version I have will do it in about 3 hours.
That leads me to believe that the
more expensive spread will do it in an hour or less. You download the
file and burn it to a CD, which
is bootable. Maybe there's a flash drive version, but I don't have a
computer that will boot on a
flash drive, so I never looked. Look them up on Google. I've used the
program at least three times
without any failure.

--doug