Ubuntu and Windows8.1

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Wed Jan 22 21:59:17 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 03:22 PM, Kyle Cotton wrote:
> I had recentely installed 13.10 dual booting along side Windows8.1
> then one day i shutdown my computer to boot into Windows and Windows
> was just gone. I am not sure what happened but something happened
> when i shutdown to boot back to Windows i had just updated 13.10 i
> assume that caused my dilemma.  How can i avoid this from
> reoccurring? I just installed Windows8.1 again and Ubuntu13.10 but i
> have not yet updated Ubuntu.
>
> -Kyle Cotton

I dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 13.10 and have updated 13.10 multiple
times with out that happening so what happened to you is not the norm.

Above you say "Windows was just gone".  What do you mean by that? If you
mean you no longer saw the grub menu that allowed you to pick the OS you
wanted to boot to.  The first thing I would try was to boot to Ubuntu
and open a terminal and type    sudo update-grub  .  If the grub menu
was somehow corrupted that should rebuild it and allow you to dual boot
again.  If that doesn't work then someone with more knowledge than
myself will need to help you.

Regards,  Jim