Nikolai Cassanova: Help with libre office

Catalin Soare lolinux.soare at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 09:29:30 UTC 2014

Hello there!

MSs word and excel files since 2007 are basically zipped files which
contain content, formats and everything else inside.
You might want to try to either unpack them as zip files, or browse inside
of them (for example with midnight commander).

Now I'm not very sure if that's going to work for "attachments" as video,
audio, however I know that you can extract most pictures this way, by
treating them like zip files.

Good luck!

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 January 2014 20:37,  <nikolaigauntiet at estelacm.sld.cu> wrote:
> > Hi, I am running ubuntu 13.04 and I installed the java plugin but anytime
> > my profesora gives us microsoft word documents with songs and videos
> > included into it, I don't have the ability to play them from the word
> > document in libre office.  It always freezes and says something about OLE
> > object and thats it.  I don't even have the ability to copy and paste
> them
> > to my desktop and play them as a mp3 or mp4 file.  What can I do to get
> > them to work.  The format my profesora saves them in is: "docx" file
> > format.
>

> I have a feeling that Kevin might be right and objects embedded with
> OLE might not work.
>
> Another option might be:
>
> * install the `ubuntu-restricted-extras` package so you have native
> Flash etc. support
>
> Or...
>
> * install WINE and under that install the Microsft Word Viewer, plus
> the File Format Convertors package. Then you will be running the
> actual Windows code. Both these products are freeware downloads.
>

> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Regards,
*Catalin Soare <lolinux.soare at gmail.com>*