Ubuntu 12.04 / can't mount Sansa e280 Rockbox player

scar scar at drigon.com
Mon Jan 13 05:03:02 UTC 2014

ok i think this is the final issue with my upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04!

my Sansa e280 mp3 player running Rockbox is not getting mounted.  in
previous ubuntu versions, this was an issue that i had to manually solve
by removing the /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-libgphoto2.fdi
file due to a bug (or in my case i just have it renamed to
20-libgphoto2.fdi.old).  however, after upgrading to 12.04, it is still
not being mounted.

in the syslog i can see that the player is detected as well as the
partitions on it[1] but the partitions are not getting (auto)mounted.
if i try a 'fdisk -l' it freezes before it lists the rockbox disks and
these errors show up in the syslog: [2].  then the player freezes and i
have to ^C the fdisk command.  i've tried to manually mount the
partitions but i continue to receive strange errors like "wrong fs type,
bad option, bad superblock" (even if i specify -t vfat or msdos) so
there seems to be a major hardware disconnect here....

i tried renaming 20-libgphoto2.fdi.old back to 20-libgphoto2.fdi but
that doesn't seem to change anything.  the player mounts fine in my
laptop running ubuntu 12.04 but i don't have any of my music stored on
there.  are there perhaps some packages that i can purge and reinstall
that might fix this?

1. http://pastebin.com/KprFeFMP
2. http://pastebin.com/ipQafw02