nfs broken after upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Jan 7 12:45:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:40:46AM -0700, scar wrote:
> Marius Gedminas @ 01/06/2014 06:40 AM:
> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 01:22:23AM -0700, scar wrote:
> >> NFS server not working properly after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 from
> >> 10.04.
> > Strange!  How did you upgrade?
>
> i just used the GUI update manager and clicked on the button that said
> 'new release is available'

OK, that should've worked then.

> >> don't see any errors but not sure where else to look besides dmesg?
> > /var/log/syslog?
> >
> > Check with 'sudo netstat -tnlvp' to see if you have daemons listening on
> > the right ports?  (the kernel nfs thread, shown as "-", on port 2049,
> > rpcbind on port 111, rpc.mountd on some random port -- I actually have
> > it listening on three ports, not sure why -- one port per export?;
> > rpc.statd on some other random port, rpc.rquotad also maybe)
>
> yeah looks like they are all running/listening except for rpc.rquotad,
> but they are listening on 0.0.0.0 it looks like, shouldn't they be
> listening on the servers address (192.168.1.139 in this case)?

Nah, 0.0.0.0 is fine (it means "listen on all interfaces/IP addresses
assigned to this computer").

> > Check with rpcinfo if nfs/mountd etc services are registered.
>
> rpcinfo lists several things pertaining to nfs/mountd
>
> > Check with 'sudo exportfs' if you have successfully exported the
> > filesystems.
>
> yes both of my filesystems are shown....

Hm, I'm nearly out of ideas.  Maybe check the firewall configuration?

Marius Gedminas
--
But perhaps ISO's central secretariat follows just the common industry
practice pioneered by Microsoft: "We will get it right in the third